Sunday, June 8, 2014

Gaining a testimony of the Word of Wisdom

I feel I want to write about something that has become an important part of my life.  I want to share how I began to gain a testimony of the Word of Wisdom.
As a child I never had to worry about what I ate and as a teenager I was very active in sports and was very lean ( a mere 100lbs) so I never even thought about food.  Food was something you ate to satisfy hunger, and also to enjoy as a treat once and a while.  My mom tried her best to feed, us as healthily as possible.  I grew up in the 70's-90's and fast convenient foods were becoming the fad of the day so that is what my mom fed us.  I remember Mac-n-cheese, frozen burritos, and banquet meat pies, with a nicer meal on Sundays.  She would use whole wheat bread, and we did have fresh fruits, and she would usually make a frozen vegetable for dinner.  So we were eating healthier then our friends families.  I remember some of our friends wouldn't even have fruits of veggies in their diet, and ate lots of white bread, white crackers, and anything else white they could get their hands on.  Needles to say, nobody was eating very healthy back then, at least not the examples in my experience.

I grew up, got married and had to take on the responsibility of feeding my own family.  I began to cook for my family the same way my mom cooked for us.  We ate a lot of processed foods, and quick meals.  We Would go out to eat often and ate treats often.  I started to gain weight, I stopped exercising and became caught up in life of being a busy mom.

When I became pregnant with my third child Brynn I tested high on my glucose test.  I didn't have gestational diabetes, but I came within 4 points of having it.  This was a wake up call for me and I realized if I wanted to have any more children I needed to get healthier.  When she was about 2 years old I decided to start running.  I started by doing a run/walk 5 days a week.  At first I mostly walked with a little running in between, but as I was consistent I began to get stronger and I began to mostly run with a little walking in between.  I had more energy and I started eating less. I lost 12 lbs in 1 1/2 years just by this one small change.  When I got pregnant with my fourth child Drew, my glucose test was normal.

To be continued....

No comments: