Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bread! Bread! oh my aunt Bonnie's WONDERFUL homemade whole wheat bread. My Aunt Bonnie has made the most delicious homemade bread for as far back as I can remember. I always loved to go visit their house in Torrence California because I knew I would get to have some of her bread. My mom was never a baker and getting homemade bread was a real treat.
My Aunt gave me her recipe a few years ago, and I was never able to make it as good as she does. It would either be too dry, or too crumbly, or it wouldn't rise properly... there were plenty of failed loafs.
I moved to Colorado about three years ago, and with the elevation and stuff it is pretty tricky to bake here. I again had many failed attempts.
One night we had a young women's activity where a woman in our ward showed us how to make bread with all the tricks and secrets that come along with baking homemade bread in Colorado.
After only a few attempts, I was able to make a good loaf of bread. Though the recipes I received from the ward and other places were good they were never as good as I remembered my aunts bread to be so I tried her recipe one last time ( this time with all the tricks) and lo and behold I had a loaf almost as good as hers. The reason I write about bread is because as I sit here, the wonderful aroma of fresh baked bread is permeating my nostrils. I love it and I give thanks to my aunt Bonnie who inspired me in this way, and many others. Thanks aunt Bonnie. Everytime I make bread I think of you. Love you.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmmm bread! Please share your tricks and tips!

Krysta said...

Cute post. You should have taken a picture of the bread. I still need to try her recipe.